Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

Climate Change

Heat from sun’s rays sparks fire at cottage

It was so hot last week that a fire was started in a listed building by the sun’s rays magnified through a window.

A thatched cottage in Childrey, near Wantage, nearly went up in flames when the sun’s rays were magnified through a convex glass window in a front door.

This in turn led to burning of a wicker bag in the front porch of the Grade II-listed house so it started smouldering.

The home owner was outside when she heard smoke alarms and returned inside to find smoke in her High Street home shortly after 6pm last Wednesday.

She ran inside to discover smoke filling the ground floor and called 999.

The woman extinguished the fire before crews from Wantage, Didcot and Faringdon arrived.

A fire service spokesperson said: “When we have sunny weather like this week the right conditions can be found for glass objects to enhance the sun’s rays and cause a fire when in contact with combustible items.

“Luckily the occupier was alerted by working smoke alarms in the home.”

You May Also Like

Climate Change

This afternoon Oxford Climate Justice Campaign (OCJC) dropped two banners calling on University College to divest, demanding colleges “ACT NOW” while the Oxford March...

Education

In a tech heavy world where advances in computer technology are almost exponential, it makes sense that our kids should be learning about the...

Crime

An animal welfare charity has launched an investigation after a “horrifying” attack on a cat which was left hanging in a garden. Police were...

Football

Oxford Line-up and Stats LEAGUE ONE Kassam Stadium Sat 22 Jan 2022 Attendance: 10,071 Oxford United 3 Sheffield Wednesday 2 Taylor 45+1., 62 Bannan...